Skip to content
7 Interesting Facts about Nuthatches
What you should know:
- Nuthatches prefer to reside in open, mature pine trees.
- Their diet switches from insects and spiders in the summer to sunflower seeds and suet in the winter.
- In its search for insects, nuthatches will use “tools” such as bark to pry off larger pieces of bark.
- They will often store seeds for retrieval later in the same day or as a quick source of food for the next morning.
- Nuthatches are often observed creeping headfirst down tree trunks and poles.
- Nuthatches roost in a communal group which may contain up to 100 birds.
- They can stay in their roost cavity for up to 40 hours without feeding. This enables them to survive winter storms.