Skip to content
7 Interesting Facts about Cardinals
What you should know:
- Cardinals prefer to face their food while eating. If you are using a tube feeder add a seed catching tray for better results.
- Their favorite seeds are safflower and black oil sunflower. Straight safflower is great because it will also deter squirrels!
- Cardinals love birdbaths, the water level should be 2-3 inches at the deepest part.
- Cardinals prefer dense coverage such as large shrubs, thick vines, and evergreen trees.
- Cardinals will hatch up to 4 broods in one season. The male tends the one while the female starts the next brood.
- The male cardinal is very defensive; it will spend hours fighting its reflection in windows. Putting window silhouettes on reflective surfaces can fix this problem.
- Cardinals can live up to 15 years in the wild.